samedi 1 septembre 2007
Person 1: You look like you have lost some weight.
Person 2 (pleased): Why, yes I have, thank you for noticing.
Person 1: Because you had really big hips before.
Person 2 (less pleased now): Uh, thanks.

Different cultures have different standards on what is okay and what is not okay to say to other people. I find the French to be less effusive in their praise. Alain feels that Americans give a lot more praise, such as work: Oh what a great job you did! Whereas in France, if you did a good job, no one will really comment on it because you are SUPPOSED to do a good job. The French, in my opinion, are a lot more ready to criticize. Hmph.

3 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Wow...really? They're SUPPOSED to do a good job? Perhaps that sort of thinking skipped the retail/consumer sector.

Jennifer a dit…

Our 80+ year old neighbor looked me up and down one day and said, "you like to eat, don't you?"
After the initial shock wore off I said, "yes I do, the food here is so delicious,"
(I really wanted to haul off and smack him for pointing out that I'm not as svelte as some of the other women in the village - like I need to be reminded!)

Starman a dit…

LOL! So typically French.

Blog Archive

Libellés

Favorite Posts