mardi 11 novembre 2008
Question- why is "toilet" always used in the plural sense in France?

Où sont les toilettes?
Well, what if there is only one?
And I only want to use one at a time.

People use the plural sense even when they are at someone's house, when it is certain that they only have one toilet.

Anyway, I repainted the toilet room (another question- how many times can I repaint the same 5 m2 area?) with blue stripes. This decision was taken after yet another try of matching the paint to the tiles- I went to Castorama with one of the extra tiles, and the guy in the paint department custom mixed some paint that was supposed to match. I bought the smallest size, about a liter I guess. Nope, too purpely this time.

Turns out that the pre-mixed paint that I had originally picked matched the closest. Go figure. Anyway, Alain didn't want to repaint the bedroom and throw out all the paint we had bought, and didn't want to have the toilet room a different blue than the bedrooms and the hallway, so we settled on painting it blue stripes, using the blue that was already there, the blue I had bought, and white paint. It took me several days- marking the lines with pencil and using a level, using masking tape to cover the areas I didn't want to paint, painting a few stripes, letting it dry, removing and replacing the tape, painting with different shades of blue.
So voila. It is definitely unique. I feel like I should paint a blue frame around the white window above, to make it stand out. Or maybe there is enough blue already. Opinions?
As we have sortof a blue stripe theme (my painting below, blue striped pillows, tablecloth, etc), it isn't too out there. If we get tired of it we can always just repaint in white. For now, it is okay. That and I can't be bothered to care anymore.
For the first week I was surprised each time I went in. "Oh yeah, I forgot that I spent a week painting these blue stripes."
(before ->)
Still need to do: replace light switch (ugly brown and cream colored switch in picture above)
replace the light
buy some boxes or something to hide the cleaning supplies and toilet paper in.
redo the door (sand, paint white, replace handle).


5 commentaires:

Starman a dit…

I like the stripes.

Anonyme a dit…

Loving the stripes! I would also probably paint a frame around the window.

Starman a dit…

You could use the light paint on the frame and the darker blue on the door.

Anonyme a dit…

After being corrected several times by a friend, I resigned myself to the plural bathroom. I also had a hard time with "are you doing better" - I wanted to say "tu fais mieux" instead of "tu vas mieux".

Anonyme a dit…

The "les toilettes" thing is simple. La toilette means "to make your toilette" as in to do your morning bath, makeup, brush teeth, hair, and so on. That's why you need to use the plural for going to the actual toilet.

Blog Archive

Libellés

Favorite Posts